Introducing Play at Home: Short Plays to Be Enjoyed at Home!
Wednesday | Apr. 1, 2020
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis has teamed with Baltimore Center Stage, Long Wharf Theatre, The Public Theater and Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company to present Play at Home, a series of micro-commissioned short plays from some of the American theatre's most exciting and prominent playwrights.
These new plays – which all run 10 minutes or less – are available for the public to download, read and perform at home for free at playathome.org.
In the wake of widespread event cancellations following the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the participating theatres conceived Play at Home as a way to support artists, connect people to theatre, and to ignite imagination and joy in these uncertain times.
Each organization commissioned multiple playwrights – most of whom had plays canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak – to create new works that were big, joyful and not bound by the constraints of what might be "possible" on a traditional stage.
The Rep’s commissioned playwrights feature:
- Regina Taylor (playwright of The Rep’s 2020-2021 production of Oo-Bla-Dee)
- Karen Zacarias (playwright of The Rep’s 2020-2021 production of Native Gardens)
- Steph Del Rosso (playwright of The Rep’s 2020-2021 world premiere of The Gradient)
- Guadalís Del Carmen (who appeared at The Rep as an actor in 2020’s Mojada: A Medea in Los Angeles)
- Tre’von Griffith (a St. Louis performer and playwright, co-founder of TLT Productions)
Their plays are meant to be read at home among family and friends, and we highly encourage readers to share photos or videos of their home performances on social media using the hashtag #playathome.
So dive into the collection and make some theatre happen in your home today! We can't wait to see what you create.