BASED ON THE LIFE OF MIRIAM MAKEBA | By Somi Kakoma
- September 21 , 2021 / Tuesday 7:00PM
- September 22 , 2021 / Wednesday 2:00PM
- September 22 , 2021 / Wednesday 7:00PM
- September 23 , 2021 / Thursday 8:00PM (Post Show Discussion)
- September 24 , 2021 / Friday 8:00PM
Special thanks to The Miriam Makeba Estate and Mama Africa Cultural & Social Trust for their support and permission to create this work.
At her final concert, South African musical legend and activist Miriam Makeba delivers the performance of her life, raising the conscience and the consciousness of a people. But the ancestors are calling—transporting her through the music and fractured memories of her past on a spiritual journey of reconciliation. Written and performed by Grammy-nominated international music sensation Somi Kakoma, this world-premiere musical is an electrifying portrait of a revolutionary artist’s singular voice and vision.
Additional Ticket Information
Run time is approximately 2 hours with one (1) 15 minute intermission.
Cast & Creative
- Somi Kakoma - Playwright
- Lileana Blain Cruz - Director
- Marjani Forte - Choreographer
- Hervé Samb - Music Director
- Riccardo Hernandez - Set Designer
- Mimi Plange - Costumes Designer
- Yi Zhao - Lighting Designer
- Emma Deane - Lighting Assistant
- Hannah Wasileski - Projections Designer
- Kylee Loera - Projections Assistant
- Bill Kirby and Justin Ellington - Co-Sound Designers
- Egypt Dixon - PSM
- Alison Cote - ASM
- Shavante Brogley - PA
- Bridgett Jackson - Dialect Coach
- Tavlin Wilks - Dramaturg
- abigail jean-baptiste - Associate Director
- Somi Kakoma - Miriam Makeba
- Naledi Masilo - Sangoma Chorus
- Phindi Wilson - Sangoma Chorus
- Aaron Marcellus - Sangoma Chorus
- Phumzile Sojola - Sangoma Chorus
- Hervé Samb - Guitar
- Toru Dodo - Piano
- Sheldon Thwaites - Drums
- Pathé Jassi - Bass
Show Content Advisories
Audience Recommendation: Teen/Adult
Very minimal and tasteful references to sex, as well as childbirth and miscarriage
Use of light haze, strobe lights and drumming to simulate gunshots.
This production has one scene in which intimate partner violence (domestic abuse) is mentioned and carefully depicted.
Want to learn more about our show content advisories? Click Here
Learn About Miriam Makeba
Take a journey through time and the life of Miriam Makeba.
Thank you to our partners at the St. Louis County Library for curating an amazing list of additional reading resources. Click the button below to see the titles and reserve.
Dreaming Zenzile Playbill
Dreaming Zenzile Media Kit
To access the media kit for this production please click the button below.