SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
JOB TYPE: Full Time
START DATE: Early to Mid-August 2022
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR STATEMENT
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to elevating and celebrating our shared humanity through transformational live theatre and programs that cultivate community. The Rep is going through a significant season of evolution. This is a moment of intentional internal evaluation, expansion and reinvestment in the creation, access, and impact of our work. We believe in dynamic, welcoming, bold, innovative art with exceptional production quality and craftsmanship. We believe diversity is a value in every sector of our theatre and center the idea of life-long learning off and on the stage. There has never been a better time to join The Rep family. We are looking for a Special Events Manager that embraces these values and seeks to be a thought-leading voice as we build strong, sustainable, equitable processes to support exceptional artistry. I believe in the fundamental power of our artform to transform lives and community. As Artistic Director, I welcome you to bring the whole of your ingenuity, your dreams, and your talents to the theatre. Let’s craft the future of the American Theatre together.
-Hana S. Sharif
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis creates bridges between people in the St. Louis region and beyond through expertly crafted theatrical experiences that are joyful, unique, inspiring and thought-provoking.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis will be a welcoming home where a full spectrum of artists and audiences courageously engage with one another and expand their appreciation and understanding of the world.
- Collective Excellence
- Equity and Anti-Racism
- Resource Stewardship for Sustainability and Growth
- Life-long learning
The Special Events Manager is responsible for the planning and coordination of all events across the organization. These events will create, sustain and grow kinship and engagement amongst the staff, artists, donors, audience and community members of The Rep. This is a full-time exempt position with benefits. Evenings and weekend hours are frequently required. The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, plan, and execute all internal and external events, including but not limited to: opening night parties, staff social events, private dinners, pre-show cocktail parties, off-site donor cultivation events, Board of Directors events and other community events in conjunction with other departments.
- Work with the Managing Director and others to create an organization-wide event strategy.
- Work with Development to secure event sponsorship and in-kind donations.
- Organize the theatre’s special event calendar by coordinating dates and creative team availability with other departments and with the season Production calendar.
- Work as part of organization’s team to plan and coordinate community outreach events surrounding productions.
- Manage and maintain event budgets.
- Coordinate all invitation copy, design and publication with graphics department.
- Work with General Manager to negotiate all vendor, catering, rentals and entertainment agreements.
- Oversee RSVP’s and payment processing with support from Development Assistant.
- Prepare detailed event timelines, meeting agendas, talking points and speeches as needed.
- Oversee staffing, set-up and breakdown for all events.
- Prepare event reports and summaries for senior management.
- Execute appropriate event follow-up procedures.
- Work with the marketing and public relations department to design and publish all event promotion including webpages, social media, etc. and other media outlets.
- Closely interact with board members, committee chairs, artists, community members and event sponsors.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5 years of event planning experience, with an understanding of how to work within a budget and reach goals.
- Ability to multi task, problem solve, and be self-disciplined.
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented in order to keep multiple projects organized consecutively.
- Team player with an intense work ethic.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Possesses a positive attitude with the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Experience working closely with board members and volunteers, donors and key members of the organization.
- Must have computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Experience with CRM software a plus.
- Must be flexible in working long hours, nights and weekends.
To Apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter (include where you saw this job posting) and resume, to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the first date of employment.