REPORTS TO: Properties Manager
JOB TYPE: Full Time, Seasonal (July – April)
START DATE: ASAP
SALARY RANGE: $750-900/Weekly
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR STATEMENT
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to elevating and celebrating our shared humanity through transformational live theatre and programs that cultivate community. The Rep is going through a significant season of evolution. This is a moment of intentional internal evaluation, expansion and reinvestment in the creation, access, and impact of our work. We believe in dynamic, welcoming, bold, innovative art with exceptional production quality and craftsmanship. We believe diversity is a value in every sector of our theatre and center the idea of life-long learning off and on the stage. There has never been a better time to join The Rep family. We are looking for a Properties Assistant that embraces these values and seeks to be a thought-leading voice as we build strong, sustainable, equitable processes to support exceptional artistry. I believe in the fundamental power of our artform to transform lives and community. As Artistic Director, I welcome you to bring the whole of your ingenuity, your dreams, and your talents to the theatre. Let’s craft the future of the American Theatre together.
-Hana S. Sharif
MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES
Read more here
The Repertory Theatre St. Louis (LORT B) seeks a Properties Assistant to provide assistance for the Properties Manager in procuring and creating properties across all productions. In addition to construction and procurement of properties, the Assistant will assist with and participate in the load-in and strike of rehearsal and show props across all production fronts. Another basic function of this position is to serve as Properties Assistant for The Rep’s Imaginary Theatre Company productions throughout the season and other projects as assigned.
The Repertory Theatre St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In conjunction with the Properties Manager, assist in procuring, creating, building and maintaining rehearsal and show properties.
- Maintain excellent communication with stage management, production staff, and artistic team throughout the production process.
- Provide support for all load-in, work, and strike calls during the production process coordinating activity with Properties Manager and respective over hire..
- Attend all design presentations, meetings, rehearsals, and run-throughs as designated by the Properties Manager.
- Assisting in the maintenance of safe working conditions in the Prop Shop and onstage, as well as complying with Theatre policies, practices, and procedures.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 3 Years of experience in a Props Department in a LORT regional theater, and other advanced training including but not limited to bachelor’s degree in technical theatre.
- Commitment to creating and maintaining an equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist environment that values diversity and centers excellence.
- The ideal candidate has skills in some of the following areas:
- Metal working and welding
- Soft goods, sewing skills
- Molding and casting, sculpting, and carving/li>
- Experience with small motors, mechanisms, and electronics.
- 3D printing.
- Excellent computer skills. Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and AutoCAD preferred.
- Experience with standard shop tools/equipment.
- Ability to supervise and instruct students of varying abilities working in the prop shop.
- Aptitude and eagerness to learn new skills..
- Capacity to consult and engage in creative thinking and problem solving with designers and/or supervisors on specific solutions to challenges.
- Ability to conduct research to facilitate the development of high-quality props in a timely and economical manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in oral and written communication on an interpersonal or group level.
- Experience in preparing budgets, labor estimates, build calendars, and staffing schedules.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater.
- Ability to work on one’s feet for long hours, to work on ladders and lifts occasionally, to lift furniture, boxes, and other items weighing over 75 pounds,
- Valid driver’s license, clean record, and the ability to drive up to 16’ trucks in an urban environment.
- Preferred to also have a Missouri Class E license or equivalent.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, sometimes at length 6-8 hours at a time.
- Ability to operate a computer.
New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the first date of employment.
Please complete the form below