Mainstage Wardrobe Supervisor/Warehouse Manager
POSITION: Mainstage Wardrobe Supervisor/Warehouse Manager
REPORTS TO: Costume Shop Manager
JOB TYPE: Full Time Seasonal
SALARY RANGE: $750/Week
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
The Repertory Theatre St. Louis (LORT B) is accepting applicants for the position of Mainstage Wardrobe Supervisor/Warehouse Manager. The MainstageWardrobe Supervisor is responsible for ensuring performances run smoothly for mainstage productions assigned at the Loretto-Hilton Center, which includes completing costume changes and maintaining consistency with the original costume designs. This position will create wardrobe paperwork and train the wardrobe crews which may consist of Webster University Conservatory students.
The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for every costume from the time they leave the Costume Shop at the beginning of tech/dress rehearsals until the production closes, which includes laundering, coordinating dry cleaning, and maintenance during the performance run, and the return of the costumes to the costume shop at the end of the scheduled production run. This position will work with the Costume Shop Manager to identify backstage needs for supplies, equipment, and
The Warehouse Manager's responsibilities include organizing the warehouse. Following through on rental requests and invoices. Restocking all costumes returned from performances and rentals. Maintaining an organized space and communicating needs to the Costume Shop Manager.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates Wardrobe Running lists for each production
- Conducts an orientation for wardrobe crew members with the Costume Shop Manager and/or Assistant Manager present to answer outstanding questions.
- In collaboration with the Costume Shop Manager assigns specific duties to all wardrobe crew members.
- Communicates and coordinates with Stage Management any show-related needs including but not limited to entrance and exit plots, costume presets and run of show needs.
- Delegate all tracks to the Crew present. Dresses actors or facilitates quick changes for any actor as needed.
- Attends specific designer runs and technical/dress rehearsals.
- Review each costume with the Costume Shop Manager and Assistant Costume Shop Manager to comprehend the entire show.
- Attends all required costume shop, production staff, and all staff meetings.
- Coordinates show strikes for costumes.
- Maintains a safe and clean work/shop environment; helps maintain the security of Performance Spaces and Dressing Rooms.
- Promotes a commitment to anti-racism, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in all areas of The Rep
- Creates Costume Rental Paperwork and Invoices
- Maintains Costumes in the warehouse.
- Able to work independently with assigned tasks and communicate the status of projects
- Costume history knowledge preferred
- In collaboration with the Costume Shop Management team, creates sizing procedures and check-in/check-out for rentals
- Works in a manner consistent with understanding and demonstrating inclusive behaviors; maintain a safe and welcoming work/shop environment, free from any aggressions; interrupts behaviors that hinder The Rep’s equity, diversity and inclusion efforts.
- This description reflects the management of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in a similar position is required.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of the theatre process, including but not limited to production, technical, costume construction, and costume repair.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, and visual.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work productively under severe time pressures and meet deadlines.
- Extensive Knowledge of clothing and theatrical practices.
- Thorough understanding of the costume design and construction processes and all the related aspects, and how they relate to the overall theatre production process.
- Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule.
- May have to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, and dust.
- Must be willing to travel and work at various sites.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions while using the appropriate safety procedures.
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical equipment, fumes, and/or materials with appropriate PPE.
- Frequently remains in a stationary position at a sewing machine for periods of time.
- Frequently will need to ascend/descend a ladder to access or replace costumes.
- Occasionally reaches overhead to access materials and stock items.
- Frequently will need to transverse multiple levels of scenery, and backstage areas to assist and oversee costume needs for each production.
- Constantly handles a variety of fabrics and costumes which will be a variety of textures and finishes
- Occasionally handles fabric and costumes weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently communicates with students and staff in a noisy costume shop and theater environment.
- Occasionally works closely with actors in various states of dress, including positioning themselves around the body of the actor.
COVID-19 AND VACCINATION POLICY:
As a condition of employment, The Rep will require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including one booster.
This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the job’s requirements. It does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required. The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis reserves the right to modify this job description at any time, including assigning or reassigning job duties or deleting this position.
Candidates should email a cover letter, resume/CV, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Include in the subject line: Job Title, Last Name, First Name. No phone calls please.