DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
JOB TYPE: Exempt; Full Time
START DATE: January 2023
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR STATEMENT
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to elevating and celebrating our shared humanity through transformational live theatre and programs that cultivate community. The Rep is going through a significant season of evolution. This is a moment of intentional internal evaluation, expansion and reinvestment in the creation, access, and impact of our work. We believe in dynamic, welcoming, bold, innovative art with exceptional production quality and craftsmanship. We believe diversity is a value in every sector of our theatre and center the idea of lifelong learning off and on the stage. There has never been a better time to join The Rep family. We are looking for a Director of Finance and Administration that embraces these values and seeks to be a thought-leading voice as we build strong, sustainable, equitable processes to support exceptional artistry. I believe in the fundamental power of our art form to transform lives and community. As Artistic Director, I welcome you to bring the whole of your ingenuity, your dreams, and your talents to the theatre. Let's craft the future of the American Theatre together.
-Hana S. Sharif
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis creates bridges between people in the St. Louis region and beyond through expertly crafted theatrical experiences that are joyful, unique, inspiring and thought-provoking.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis will be a welcoming home where a full spectrum of artists and audiences courageously engage with one another and expand their appreciation and understanding of the world.
- Collective Excellence
- Equity and Anti-Racism
- Resource Stewardship for Sustainability and Growth
- Life-long learning
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for supervising accounting assistants and administration staff, overseeing internal controls, reviewing and approving financial targets, monitoring expenditures, overseeing annual insurance, monitoring cash flow, evaluating investments, and managing tax compliance. This role is expected to perform in a manner consistent with company standards and expectations and to uphold The Rep’s mission, vision, and values. We offer a strong compensation package including but not limited to:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- FSA Plan
- 2 weeks of paid vacation in the first year of employment, 3 weeks per year after the first year
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- (40%) Directs the preparation of the financial analysis of the organization. This work includes, but is not limited to:
- In collaboration with General Management and Production, coordinate the post-show financial closing process and preparation of financial statements and cash flow projections;
- Ensuring quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Analyzing and interpreting financial reports to understand trends in profitability, performance against budget, and other key measures of the financial health of the organization;
- Recommending changes to organizational processes and strategy to improve financial results;
- Developing cash flow reporting and monitoring systems;
- Prepare Board reports as needed to communicate financial progress and position.
- Supervising the payroll process, such as approving transactions and reviewing exemptions;
- Updating individual pay records as stipulated by employees or management, such as tax deductions or salary adjustments;
- Maintaining payroll systems and reporting any issues to management;
- Supervising personnel involved in payroll and ensuring the best financial practices are followed;
- Auditing payroll transactions to ensure that accounts, payment dates, and taxes are accurate and up to date;
- Creating monthly and annual payroll reports for management review;
- Ensuring all payroll systems comply with federal tax laws;
- Attending to any payroll-related queries or questions from employees.
- Providing coaching, feedback and recognition to ensure the development of all team members;
- Setting goals for individual team members;
- Promoting employee satisfaction;
- Reviewing and approving journal entries, payments and payroll transactions entered by staff members to ensure accuracy;
- Addressing performance issues with consultation from the Human Resources department.
- Ensuring the appropriate procedures and accounting practices are followed for monthly and year-end closing processes;
- Leading external audits to monitor and confirm the financial condition of the organization;
- Preparing and reviewing documents for audit of the financials, tax-deferred annuity plan, and pension plan by external auditors;
- Developing and documenting business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Supervises Senior Manager, Administration to ensure that benefit administration is accurate, timely and in line with best practice;
- Work with insurance brokers on annual cyber, liability, vehicle, property and worker’s compensation insurance policies;
- Ensuring IT infrastructure and all IT functions are following best practices and advancing with field needs for business operations, security, and efficiency.
- Identifying opportunities to improve the accounting practices, internal controls, and processes;
- Implementing change initiatives outlined by the Vice President of Business Planning and Reporting.
The following education, skills, and experience are suggested for this role:
- 5+ years of experience in accounting positions, including 3+ years of experience managing other accounting staff;
- Demonstrated experience managing internal payroll operations;
- Familiarity with accounting and payroll systems, i.e. Great Plains, QuickBooks
- Strong aptitude for math with exceptional numerical proficiency;
- Excellent written, verbal, and auditory communication skills;
- Broad knowledge of accounting principles with strong analytical skills;
- Proficiency in Excel and intermediate to advanced experience with Word and similar programs;
- Knowledge and experience with integrated accounting systems.
COVID-19 AND VACCINATION POLICY
This position requires the ability to work seated for several hours at a time. Some filing is required. The work environment is an air-conditioned, smoke-free, remote environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This position may require local, day travel.
This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the job’s requirements. It does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required. The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis reserves the right to modify this job description at any time, including assigning or reassigning job duties or deleting this position.
Candidates should submit a cover letter (include where you saw this job posting) and resume to FinanceSearch@repstl.org. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted in Word or PDF format. Subject line should read: Last Name, First Name – Director of Finance and Administration.