DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
JOB TYPE: Full Time
START DATE: Mid-November 2022
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR STATEMENT
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to elevating and celebrating our shared humanity through transformational live theatre and programs that cultivate community. The Rep is going through a significant season of evolution. This is a moment of intentional internal evaluation, expansion and reinvestment in the creation, access, and impact of our work. We believe in dynamic, welcoming, bold, innovative art with exceptional production quality and craftsmanship. We believe diversity is a value in every sector of our theatre and center the idea of lifelong learning off and on the stage. There has never been a better time to join The Rep family. We are looking for a Director of Development that embraces these values and seeks to be a thought-leading voice as we build strong, sustainable, equitable processes to support exceptional artistry. I believe in the fundamental power of our artform to transform lives and community. As Artistic Director, I welcome you to bring the whole of your ingenuity, your dreams, and your talents to the theatre. Let's craft the future of the American Theatre together.
-Hana S. Sharif
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis creates bridges between people in the St. Louis region and beyond through expertly crafted theatrical experiences that are joyful, unique, inspiring and thought-provoking.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis will be a welcoming home where a full spectrum of artists and audiences courageously engage with one another and expand their appreciation and understanding of the world.
- Collective Excellence
- Equity and Anti-Racism
- Resource Stewardship for Sustainability and Growth
- Life-long learning
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis seeks a Director of Development to build a strong base of individual donors to support the ambitious and strategic growth of the theatre. The Director of Development will be responsible for the overall strategy and execution of the fundraising function. Key to success in this role will be the capacity to build and strengthen relationships with Rep Staff, Board of Directors and donors throughout the Rep’s community of stakeholders.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee a comprehensive fundraising plan that includes, but is not limited to, the Annual Fund, annual campaigns, major gifts, corporate support, and foundation support to meet institutional needs
- Manage a robust portfolio of donors by creating and executing strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of current and new donors, including individuals (major donors and planned giving).
- Cultivate major, principal, and planned donors through a series of face-to-face meetings about the theatre’s funding needs.
- Identify and qualify new major, principal, and planned gift prospects and create a comprehensive strategy for donor cultivation, solicitation, and retention based on the donor’s giving history and capacity.
- Manage and communicate regularly with Board members, Development Committee members, and volunteers and guide them towards greater involvement in fundraising.
- Maintain annual metrics that demonstrate trends in fundraising and donor activity Invest in strategic thinking and long-term planning.
- Oversee a team of 4 fundraising professionals.
- Develop, plan, and participate in strategic donor engagement opportunities, such as small events for select prospects in the portfolio and larger donor stewardship events.
- Develop a high-quality donor experience through regular correspondence, professional proposals, and timely acknowledgments.
- Track prospect activity by maintaining regular reports that accurately reflect progress toward building relationships and increasing donor support.
- Staff and support the Artistic Director and Managing Director with their donor portfolios.
- Appreciation of the value of the arts in the community.
- Represent The Rep at external functions and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of professional experience in development with a proven record of success in meeting annual fundraising goals, including experience with major donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Proven success in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major, principal, and planned gifts.
- A commitment towards making diversity, equity, access and inclusion part of their work and contributing to a thriving and respectful work environment.
- Experience interacting and building robust relationships with major donors and Board members.
- Ability to think collaboratively and strategically, recognize opportunities, identify high-return activities, and prioritize them to attain goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of St. Louis’ (or the arts) philanthropic landscape.
- Strong commitment to the theatre’s mission.
Candidates should submit a cover letter (include where you saw this job posting), resume, and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted in Word or PDF format. Subject line should read: Last Name, First Name – Director of Development.
New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the first date of employment.