REPORTS TO: Technical Director, Associate Technical Director, Scene Shop Foreman
JOB TYPE: Full Time, Seasonal, IATSE
START DATE: January 2023
COMPENSATION: $1,519.13 per week (IATSE RATE)
The Rep is the St. Louis region’s most honored live professional theatre company. Founded in 1966, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is a fully professional theatrical operation belonging to the League of Resident Theatres, The League of St. Louis Theatres and is a constituent member of Theatre Communications Group, Inc., the national service organization for the not-for-profit professional theatre.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR STATEMENT
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is committed to elevating and celebrating our shared humanity through transformational live theatre and programs that cultivate community. The Rep is going through a significant season of evolution. This is a moment of intentional internal evaluation, expansion and reinvestment in the creation, access, and impact of our work. We believe in dynamic, welcoming, bold, innovative art with exceptional production quality and craftsmanship. We believe diversity is a value in every sector of our theatre and center the idea of life-long learning off and on the stage. There has never been a better time to join The Rep family. We are looking for a Carpenter that embraces these values and seeks to be a thought-leading voice as we build strong, sustainable, equitable processes to support exceptional artistry. I believe in the fundamental power of our artform to transform lives and community. As Artistic Director, I welcome you to bring the whole of your ingenuity, your dreams, and your talents to the theatre. Let’s craft the future of the American Theatre together.
-Hana S. Sharif
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis creates bridges between people in the St. Louis region and beyond through expertly crafted theatrical experiences that are joyful, unique, inspiring and thought-provoking.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis will be a welcoming home where a full spectrum of artists and audiences courageously engage with one another and expand their appreciation and understanding of the world.
- Collective Excellence
- Equity and Anti-Racism
- Resource Stewardship for Sustainability and Growth
- Life-long learning
Under the direction of the Technical Director, Associate Technical Director, and the Scene Shop Foreman, the Carpenter serves as a key member of The Repertory Theatre St. Louis’ (LORT B) Production Department. The Carpenter will work collaboratively with the Technical Director and other scene shop members to construct, load-in, maintain and load-out scenery for the season..
The Repertory Theatre St. Louis is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reading and understanding build drawings generated by the Technical Director or Associate Technical Director.
- Using a wide variety of hand and power tools as well as typical woodshop equipment including cutting, sanding, and fastening tools to construct wood structures.
- Using metalworking tools and equipment as well as welders to construct metal structures Producing high-quality finished scenery through a combination of woodworking, metalworking, and non-traditional construction techniques.
- Fabricating scenic pieces to the specifications of the build drawings.
- Assembling, wiring, testing and installing motor-controlled automation equipment and devices.
- Transporting scenery in company-owned or rented vehicles between production and performance venues as needed.
- Installation/strike of all scenic elements including but not limited to: constructed scenery, drapery, rigging, and automation.
- Cleaning and organizing the scene shop and stage areas including tools, materials, and workspaces on an ongoing basis.
- Ensuring and promoting a safe working environment by participating in all safety training, maintaining tools, equipment, and facilities, and following aII prescribed safety protocol.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Commitment to creating and maintaining an equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist environment that values diversity and centers excellence.
- Create a cordial, cooperative, and welcoming environment for designers, actors, and individuals.
- Self-motivated team player that can meet deadlines and embrace a safety-oriented work environment.
- Ability to self-critique and correct their work while maintaining sensitivity to the overall artistic vision.
- Ability to produce high-quality finished scenery from theatrical construction prints using a variety of materials including wood, steel, aluminum, plastics, fabric, etc.
- Capacity for communicating and sharing information, including complications, with supervisors, co-workers, and other personnel.
- Proficiency in aluminum and steel welding.
- Experience with stage rigging, both counterweight and chain motor.
- Familiarity with installation, operation and maintenance of stage and scenery equipment such as winches, pneumatics and hydraulic actuators, and motion control systems.
- Enthusiasm for learning new techniques, increasing competency with current industry practices and expanding problem-solving skills.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills. Detail-oriented, able to prioritize efficiently and multi-task in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment.
- Exhibits a positive attitude with good communication and interpersonal skills.
Necessary accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to access all technical spaces in the theater.
- Able to stand for long periods of time and kneel, stoop, bend, crawl, or squat frequently.
- Long periods of standing, walking, and climbing ladders, lifts, and scaffolding (as physical ability allows).
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Comfortable working at heights greater than 30 feet.
- Ability to drive up to a 26ft truck, clean driving record.
Please complete the form below.